Thursday, May 10, 2012

The Kite Runner - Khaled Hosseini

What a book !! I really enjoyed reading it after a long time wait..Finally I finished it..:-)
"The Kite Runner" is the story of Amir and his loyal friend Hassan..Both grew up together in Kabul,Afghanistan..The protagonist Amir is a rich man's son while Hassan is his servent,Ali's son,a "Hazara" (a  shia muslim)..Amir's father treats Ali and Hassan as his own family..In Afghan sunny muslim population is more and hence the hazaras were treated badly in those times that is in 70's..Amir's father is a respectable person with good morals and very brave at heart..On the contrary Amir is a timid boy.This timidity becomes a stumbling block to gain his father's affection...He wants to win the Kite tournment with Hassan's help to win his father's heart.But after the tournment whatever happened shattered their lives forever.Amir could not stood up for Hassan even though he is the only eye witness for the sexual assault of Hassan by Aseef and his friends..This guilt drives him crazy and insomniac and he wants to bury the truth....After staying twenty years in USA,Amir returns to Afghanistan to find redemption..

Copy right A Homemaker's Utopia
Here are few lines from the book...

Baba's words,
"When you kill a man,you steal a life",Baba said.You steal his wife's right to a husband,rob his children of a father.When you tell a lie,you steal someone's right to the truth.When you cheat,you steal the right to fairness."

War doesn't negate decency.It demands it,even more than in times of peace.

Rahim Khan's words,

Children aren't coloring books.You don't get to fill them with your favourite colors.



Coming to the characters of the novel, Baba is like a hero of the story..His death surely leaves the readers missing some prominent role in the story..The father-son relation and the relationship between Amir and Hassan were beautifully narrated..Rahim Khan's is a key role which unfolds the bitter truths in Amir's life..Hassan is surely a lovable and loyal friend..Amir's wife Soraya,The faithful Afghan guide Farid all are very nice roles..Shorab is a cute kid just like his dad Hassan who becomes centre of Amir's life..

The story set in early 70's Afghanistan and it describes the economic and social conditions in Afghan and the raise of the Taliban...The raise of republic government from monarchy..The best thing of the book is its narration itself..The narration is very simple and the author maintained a constant flow..It is a very heart touching story of normal lives with all their emotions and feelings..The readers have nicely introduced to Afghan culture and traditions.The book is a mirror of common Afghan man....


Afghans are an independent people.Afghans cherish custom but abhor rules..And so it was with kite fighting.The rules were simple:No rules.Fly your kite.Cut the opponents.Good luck.


I'm always afraid of picking a book that created much hype..But I can say this book surely reached its publicity standards..Its just amazing..Will not allow you to put it down..
Happy reading friends..:-)

33 comments:

Bhavana said...

Dang you! Could you not add some more quotes from that book? Could you not write more about the shame and redemption! I need more from that book...reader's demand! Good post and a great book...thanks for taking me back to the time when I read it!

A Homemaker's Utopia said...

Ha..ha..Bhavana,Thanks for the comment yaar....But no,I simply can not..Its the toughest post I have done so far.One must read the book to understand the depth.Some stories are hard to explain.I can say it is one of them.Its always an incomplete review..But one thing I can do,will try to add few more quotes from the book..:-) Thanks for the lovely comment again..:-)

Ashwini Dey said...

Really superb book, I read the book whole night and completed it in just two days. And I am now reading Khaled's secound book 'Thousand splendid suns', it is worth reading. Great post . . .

Ashwini Dey

Jayashree Srivatsan said...

Hi

Have read about the book (including your post) but not the book...Would do it some time...Very true...Much hyped books are sometimes not worth the hype...Good that this was an exception.

A Homemaker's Utopia said...

@ Aswini,
Thanks for your comment Aswini..:-) Nice to know,you liked this book too.Now I would love to read The thousand splendid suns..:-)

A Homemaker's Utopia said...

@ Jaish,
Thanks yaar for your sweet comment.This book is really worth reading.Don't miss it..:-)

తృష్ణ said...

interesting review ! u r true.. some books are hard to explain.

A Homemaker's Utopia said...

Thank you Trushna gaaru..:-) Yeah I believe the same..:-)

Indira said...

Recently i watched the movie on TV.Not read the novel yet!This picture is also very nice.nice review!

A Homemaker's Utopia said...

Thanks a lot for your comment Indira gaaru..:-)I haven't seen the movie..Will see.. I'm glad to have you here..Hope to hear more often from you..:-)

Privy Trifles said...

I wanted to read this book after all that hype surrounded it but could never gather the courage as I felt it might not be my types. But after reading your review I will surely read it soon.

Nicely done review!

rupam sarma said...

Beautiful post.I watch the film.Thank you.

Saher said...

Interesting to read your reviews of the book, I have watched the movie but have'nt picked up the book yet. Hope to do so after reading this!

A Homemaker's Utopia said...

@ Me,
Very nice book,Leaves the readers a very beautiful feeling after completing..:-) Thanks a lot for the comment..:-)

A Homemaker's Utopia said...

@ Rupam,
Thank a lot for dropping by..:-)

A Homemaker's Utopia said...

@ Saher,
Thanks a lot for your lovely comment.:-)I haven't seen the movie yet..will see now.The book is really worth reading..:-)

Saranya said...

I too liked the book very much..
Saranya
http://nicesaranya.blogspot.com/
http://foodandtaste.blogspot.com/

A Homemaker's Utopia said...

Hi Saranya,
Thanks for the comment...:-)

SJ said...

The book is an absolute delight. I read it some in 2005 was totally in love wid it.

great review

www.styledestino.blogspot.com

Mak said...

This one goes on my to read list. Thank you Nagini for this wonderful review. I am not aware of the movie this has been made into. Can you let me know ?

A Homemaker's Utopia said...

@ SJ,
Hi thanks for taking time and commenting..:-) I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book..:-)

A Homemaker's Utopia said...

@ Mak,
Thanks a lot for the comment.:-) .yeah I heard there is a movie too..But I have not seen.

khusnud said...

Great description of book...i have read book long ago, u refresh my memory.....

A Homemaker's Utopia said...

Thanks a ton Khusnud for dropping by...:-)

పద్మవల్లి said...

I haven't read this book but watched the movie, along with my kids. They liked it and touched by it. Though my daughter (8) cried at times she insisted to watch it completely. After that I wanted to read it but for some reason not getting enough motivation, though I enjoy reading a book than watching it as a movie.

I read his second book Thousand splendid Suns. Its very heart touching and the characters will make a very lasting impression on your mind. I was planning to write on ti since last 6 months, but could dare to put my feelings in words, with my limited expressive vocabulary.

A Homemaker's Utopia said...

Padmavalli gaaru,
First of all thanks for taking time and commenting..:-)With you,one more recommendation got added to "A thousand splendid suns"..Lookig forward to pick up the book as early as possible.I loved Kite runner,hope I enjoy this one too...:-)Thanks..:-)

Found In Folsom said...

wonderful book. His other book, A thousand Splendid Suns is also fantastic. Too painful and touching.

A Homemaker's Utopia said...

Hi Found in Folsom,
Glad to hear from you after a long time..:-) Looking forward to read A thousand splendid suns too.:-)Thanks for dropping by..:-)

Found In Folsom said...

Hi, I was in India trip..so missed out on a lot of posts..slowly reading one by one..:)

A Homemaker's Utopia said...

Hi Found in Folsom,
Nice to hear back from you.:-) Thanks a lot for taking time and reading my blog..:-)Hope you had a great time in India..:-)

Cool4u said...

Wonderful Book indeed, his other famous book, 'A thousand splendid Suns' is equally good if not better. Apart from the tale, it gives you an insight into the ghastly treatment of women in Islam.
Yes! even in this day and age.
Might i also recommend the movie, "The stoning of Soraya M"
Happy Reading!

A Homemaker's Utopia said...

@ Cool4you,
Thanks a lot for stopping by..So many recommendations,Seems its a must read now..:-)Eagerly waiting to pick up that book too..:-)
Never heard of that movie..will see..Thanks once again for taking time and commenting..:-)

Anonymous said...

Wow, superb blog structure! How long have you ever been running a blog for?

you made running a blog glance easy. The entire glance of your website is wonderful, let alone
the content material!